10-16-2022, 08:03 AM   #51
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I mean technically investing in anything is a gamble, whether it's crypto, stocks, real estate. Everything is not a guaranteed profit. You see people's stock portfolios and it's not doing well, or the houses they invested in start to tank due to rising interest costs and such.

Investing=putting money on it hoping it turns a profit.
If I may chime in with my 2 cents, that's the philosophical view point - which is all well and fine when talking about it.
But when the rubber hits the road, there are many other factors to consider.

Yes, investing is driven on hope, but it's based on "something".
And that "something" doesn't have to nebulous - if calculated risks and models are used, an expectation of profit is not unreasonable. These are, in themselves, based on real world wants and needs.

Unfortunately, "crypto" based investments do not offer any such benefit.

Furthermore, the term "crypto" for "cryptocurrency" offends me as a cryptographic purist and student/scholar.
And folks who talk out of their behinds about economics and finance really get my dander up. It's all well to have an opinion, and I'll defend it, Voltaire blah blah, but I expect the person opining said opinion to have done some study so they are not spewing nonsense, for that's indefensible.
And that's how I consider "crypto" based investments to be - indefensible, unnecessary, and only being used for nefarious purposes.

Having said all that, "you do you, boo"