07-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #56
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd34 View Post
I truly admire Kia/Hyundai for putting out excellent products in recent years compared to the last couple of decades. They definitely offer an excellent warranty and value.

But a major point for me when purchasing (not leasing) a car to keep for several years is resale value and how easy it is to sell. A Toyota or Honda that is 6 or 7 years old can be sold in a day. If you trade in your Honda/Toyota, you will easily get a couple of thousand dollars more for your trade compared to a Kia/Hyundai or even a Mazda, minimizing any savings on the front end.
You are paying thousands more up front for a Honda or Toyota and the people typically purchasing these vehicles are financing so once you combine the lower entry price as well as 0% financing it's a lot more attractive than getting into a comparable Toyota for $3k more and at 3% financing as the resale ends up being a wash in the end. You can option up a non-hybrid RAV-4 to $40k USD. That's bat shit crazy as my father in law owns a 2020 RAV-4 and it's thoroughly mediocre inside and out and the 4 cylinder engine sucks as it's very unrefined. Someone above said they would feel embarrassed to drive a Kia. I would be embarrassed to pay a premium price for a mediocre vehicle like the RAV-4.