View Single Post
      11-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #18
340ix17
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: '17 340i xdrive w/ MPPSK, BM3

I've never driven a Hellcat, but I have experience with WRX's. My past two cars (prior to the 340i) were modded WRX's (2013 Stage 2, 2016 Stage 1). They were a lot of fun, good bang for the buck, held good resale value, and were unmatched in the snow with the right tires.

The current STI still utilizes the older 2.5L engine used in my older model WRX. It was known for ringland failure issues, and you basically need an aftermarket downpipe to access the gains in HP you would want. Even then, the turbo runs out of steam up top, and an aftermarket downpipe can create inspection issues, depending on local emissions requirements in your state.

The 2.0L in the newer WRX's is okay and decent for around town and from light to light, but falls flat at higher (highway) speeds up top. I never replaced the DP in my '16 because I didn't want the issues with passing inspections, but was not impressed at all with the Stage 1 and quickly disappointed with passing power at highway speeds.

Having test drove the Q50S, S4, S3, C43, M235i xdrive, multiple 340i's (standard and manual) BY FAR the most engaging and thrilling of all of these was the M235i (it wasn't even the newer M240 version with the more potent B58)

My recommendation would be to test drive an M240i xdrive. I went with the 340i only because I needed the added space and couldn't justify a 2-door, but I still have moments of regret. I also have heard that the Q50's wake up really well with a few basic mods, and I have to admit I enjoyed the turbo version of that car as well.