View Single Post
      09-25-2020, 06:48 AM   #47
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
I think that's where I'd disagree...or at least provide a thorough addendum. As electric (and autonomous self-driving, rideshared, etc) cars become the norm it will create a niche for enthusiast oriented ICE cars that are unbound by the regs for street legality. That will push ICE cars the same way horses went with the proliferation of cars - free to become specialized for showing, racing, and work. Instead of purchasing an M2 or M4 weighed down by safety features and creature comforts, we can get something more like an m240iR or M4 GT4. They could bring back classics like the e30 M3 Evo as a production car. They could sell you a turnkey Formula BMW car. Keep it in your garage, hail yourself an autonomous Tesla Cybertruck, hitch your trailered racecar to it, and sleep in luxury on your way to the track.
I'm all for that future, but the fun cars won't be coming from the OEM's. The only thing I think we'll see more as the norm are these factory workshops that restore these old classics.

That's why the big statement to me is that NEW cars will be banned, but not old. The way I see it happening is cars slowly downsizing engine capacity (ie rumored C63 will be a high strung 4 cylinder with hybrid system), and eventually full blown BEV or hydrogen fuel cells.

I absolutely do think there will be car fanatics like us holding on to dear life to our "antiques". Personally, I wouldn't have much interest in old cars that are for "off-road" use only like a Ferrari FXX
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
David701567.00