View Single Post
      12-21-2022, 07:06 AM   #402
Chris N
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW M2c

Miss driving a manual? Yes, or at least I will very soon. I also still have a couple that are soon to be gone.

Grew up with and learned on manuals. First BMW was a manual 128i M Sport. Then came the 2015 M4 with DCT. I started tracking with the M4 which, at the time, was great, but also the only car I had ever had on the track. I still had a desire for a manual for track duty. My wife began using the 128i on the track, so I decided to try it out, FAN-E'FFING-TASTIC!! I soon traded the M4 for Cayman R 6-speed manual. Later coming to my senses, I decided against continuing to track the low mileage limited production R and the wife and I have been sharing the 128i 6-speed for the past 1.5 HPDE seasons.

Fast forward to today...I was able to buy a track prepped 2020 M2c, but with DCT. I nearly passed on it because of it being a DCT, I ended up buying it in part because it was a DCT. Having the DCT takes a large amount of pressure off my wife. She no longer has the stress of reaclimating to a manual in the weeks leading up to an event, not to mention, a bit safer for her too. She refuses driving in daily traffic with a manual. For me, I now get to spend time on and at the track driving a perfectly capable track car and with my wife too. Win win! With a heavy heart both the 128i and the Cayman now have go...

I believe that the DCT has brought the AT much closer to a MT driving experience, but it's definitely not a true manual experience. I also believe that the newer technologies like rev matching, light clutch feel, delayed brake release have helped make MT driving just a little easier for the masses too, but it also takes some of the old school artestry out of it. I agree with some earlier statements, you can't beat the level of connection you get with a manual, especially when you get a heel/toe downshift perfect (without rev matching). Love it! However, there is a sweetspot for the new DCT cars as well. Its great to have viable options for everyone's situations, goals and capabilities.

Last edited by Chris N; 12-21-2022 at 08:13 AM..
Cos270608.50