View Single Post
      07-09-2021, 01:15 AM   #100
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I have a very positive reaction to the Emira overall, but still some mixed feelings.

I guess for some, the looks and price tag is enough to want the car. Especially if you think everyone has a Cayman these days. And from that perspective it's very very good.

But then…the whole point of a Lotus is extreme lightness. I get it - that no compromises attitude was what defined the company, but also what made a lot of people not want a Lotus. This one again, is basically a Lotus Cayman. I'm sure a lot of purists will say it's not really a Lotus and write it off. But for those who are still interested, the key will be to see if Lotus can beat Porsche at its own game.
Evora wasn’t about extreme lightness. Emira is 1405kg or 3097 lbs, not anywhere near a heavy car by today’s standards. They have added a lot of creature comforts that Caymans come with, more tech, safety features, etc. Honestly they have kept the weight down quite well considering the car is physically larger than an Evora. I could definitely see some future track focused variants with more lightweight materials, bucket seats, less creature comforts…being under 3000 lbs.