NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
How does the Cayman S drive? I've always wanted to know. All I hear is that it's really "fluid and precise", but that doesn't help me understand much. I've driven an e92 M3 twice, could you relate it to that at all?
Well I spent about 30 minutes with both cars. I wouldn't consider myself a pro race driver by any standard but I can notice certain things about a car when I sit in one. Both of the cars tested were MT (as a performance car should be).

The Cayman S doesn't scream power, even though it has almost 300hp. It can get up to speed fast enough, but it's not going to be a sub-4.0 car unless you get some mods (the turbo kit I hear is awesome from the guys on CaymanClub). What I did like is Porsche's short shift transmission. This thing catches, and is about as smooth a shifter as I've ever experienced. The car is nimble which is not surprising since it weighs about 600 pounds less than the M3. The best way I could describe the Cayman S is that I was "always" confident about what I was doing in the car (maybe that would get me into trouble later...). I would plan my lines during the curves I encountered on the test drive, and the car would cut through like it was on rails. The car I was in had the PASM option so the SA used it and we "lowered 10mm" on the suspension. I didn't notice the ride become any rougher, and the car was on 18''s. As for handling improvements, I didn't reach any curves that would test this car, which is my point basically. This car handles like no other car I've driven. Mid-engined balanced perfection.

The E92 M3 is a great car too. I've driven a 335i (once as a loaner, and also a test drive). I don't care what the "tuner boys" say, but the E92 M3 trounces the 335i in performance. That's why I laugh when some of the 335i guys think that their car can outperform an M3 with a $2,000 tune, some coil overs, exhaust, and new wheels because it's OBVIOUS that the M3 is a much more confident, and balanced car than what could be achieved by some tuner boy in his garage, the freaking M-Team built this car for crying out loud.

I remember taking the 335i on an off ramp where the yellow sign said 25MPH, and I basically took the energy down the ramp, and was at around 45MPH, and I was pretty scared during the experience. I could feel the back end of the car start to slip, and then of course DSC saved my ass. But in the M3, doing fairly similar manuevers during the test drive, the car didn't flinch for a second. Even the SA in the passenger seat noticed what I was doing and he said "It'll take more than that." I had to smile.

As for the overall difference, the Cayman S is more nimble. Think of a Mazda Miata if you've driven one of those (these are sleeper track cars by the way), except more refined, definitely better power throughout the entire RPM range, and of course classier.

The E92 feels like a big GT type of car to me at least when compared to the Cayman S. I don't think I'd go wrong with either car, but that $50,000 Z06 definitely has my attention. I'm just not sure it'll stay at that price. I hate Ebay, and bidding on stuff.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.