09-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #58
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
And how much have emissions regs changed since then? I don't know why "enthusiasts" constantly ignore the obvious.
It's not ignoring anything. If Subaru could manage to keep the dinosaur EJ257 emissions compliant up to MY2021 while increasing the output however little it was, surely they must have learned something over 2 complete new engine redesigns to increase the output more than 6 horsepower on the WRX.

The 2.4 isn't exactly new, it's been in the Ascent, Outback, and Legacy for a few years now. Meanwhile, competitors have been making more power and torque from 2.0s for close to a decade now.

I gave Subaru a break on the FA20 because it seemed to be a genuine improvement in torque range while still making an overall quicker car than the previous generation. My 09 WRX was quick but below 3500 RPM nobody was home. And the widely spaced gearing only made this worse around town.

And by this same argument, there's absolutely no hope for the STI then if all they could get out of the new 2.4 is a measly 271 HP. I have no confidence in the 400HP rumor, but if by some chance it is 350 or more, then it further blows up any argument against emissions regs holding back the 2.4.

It's far more likely that the WRX output is on 87 octane, much like the Ascent. In which case it should have been tuned to adjust output and take advantage of up to 93 octane like many other vehicles have.