Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
The IS 500 F SPORT is capable of a 4.5-second sprint to 60 MPH according to Lexus' press release today.

A bit underwhelming with 480HP and V8, IMO.
I think Lexus is sandbagging the IS500 numbers a bit. The 70lb heavier RC-F does the 0-60 in the 4.4-4.5 range and 1/4 mile in the 12.4-12.7@113-115mph range. The prior IS-f with 414hp was 120lbs lighter than the IS500, but had 58hp less. Lots of IS-F owners have been able to beat mag times and go low low 12s and upper 11s at 117-120mph with a couple bolt-ons. These cars are heavy and torque doesn't hit until around 4000rpms so they aren't rockets off the line. They're notably quick/fast from a 40mph+ roll but if you want torque and ease of power gains, BMW is still where it's at.

With that said, this V8 is crazy responsive, pulls and pulls, and sounds epic. I love my M235 dearly, but a used IS500 will be my daily in the next 2 years. The current and last gen IS chassis was in dire need of a motor and it's finally back. The motor and 8AT is very reliable and the 8AT is a very close second to the ZF 8AT in terms of shift speed, aggressiveness, etc. The only issue is you need to be in the more aggressive sport settings to make the 8AT shift in a sporting manner, otherwise, it's too docile and eager to upshift.

The IS500 desperately needs some different wheels and the red is a terrible intro color. White and smokey gray with some good looking, properly offset wheels will look perfect. Like others noted, it's too bad they didn't do something with the front fenders. Lexus went to all the trouble to smoke out the chrome and then put conservative shiny wheels on it. Jesus, it's like GM and them putting chrome rims on Vettes.
Yeah wheels are alright, could be better. Lexus is hit or miss w/ wheels and BMW always seems to make great looking wheels.

The Lexus design language oftentimes doesn't photograph well esp in Red, but looks great in person. New IS looks pretty good w/ F sport packaging, I'd think this will look better.