View Single Post
      02-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #36
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Well you know what they say about assumptions, so maybe you shouldn't make them, especially when they are the opposite of someone's experience. I've driven the prior two CTS-V's, Hellcats and Challengers, GT500's, a Hennessy HPE750 Supercharged Mustang, F10 M5, etc. I have plenty of experience.

My comment is not about the lack of AWD, nor about the capabilities or lack there of a high-horsepower RWD vehicle, I'm simply just stating how sad it is that that people care so much about 0-60 times now that they complain at very quick and respectable numbers like 3.7 as "slow," despite it being plenty quick. That is all. 0-60 numbers are not everything in a car, just like @JamesNoBrakes said.

Its not just the Cadillac, the Cadi just happens to be an example where that type of post has come up. I see posts like this on even faster cars with AWD and high-horsepower, such as the RS6/7 which does low 3's, or the Macan Turbo which does it under 4-seconds which is pretty quick for a two ton SUV. Hell I've even seen you complain that the RS6 is "slow," which makes no sense from my point of view that a low 3-second vehicle is "slow." Even compared to its class, its been tested at a difference of .02 which is not very noticeable.

Adding AWD may reduce wheel-spin but that doesn't mean the car is still usable on main roads or that it's better to drive. Even with AWD cars like the M5 for example have limits that are far too high for the street. Tesla is making a car that does 0-60 in sub 2-seconds, but what's the point? To beat a couple idiots at a stoplight?

I am simply congratulating Cadillac for making two driver's cars, that don't care about having the best 0-60 time or being the quickest in its class, but rather bringing the manual back one more time and putting a focus onto driving and optimizing these cars for track while going against the norm. We've already established that sales will be low and limited, so those people don't mind the lack of AWD. Cadillac is not making a car for someone like you who prioritizes turbo's, AWD and straight line speed, but some of us even if a small minority are interested. I for one have the CT4 on my shortlist.
You are making just as many (false) assumptions as I do. Look, Stein, you and I have obviously a very different view at cars. I respect that. I like high powered, quick, yet practical daily drivers (wife, one year old son, dog, golf as hobby) but I also like dedicated sports cars like 911 and L. You seem to fall for everything that has a MT and RWD. You also don’t like the modern BMWs for the “lack of steering feel”. That is totally fine with me, even though I find it slightly hypocritical coming from a guy who has a five meter mild hybrid Mercedes limo as his daily. We might never become internet buddies but we should treat each other with mutual respect. Have a great day

Last edited by AlexFL; 02-02-2021 at 10:21 AM..