10-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #84
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
In relation to COVID-19, the mrs practice (lawyer) saw a downturn and I took a 10pc haircut that has been re-instated. I am also concerned the money from governments that has been propping up the economy may dry up and see the markets fall and panic sets in, leaving my job under risk.

Also the wife is extremely COVID edgy, I am a pragmatist but cautious, she is extremely cautious and not in a head space to handle the aquisition right now.
So yeah, it seems like a good move to hold on the purchase. The good thing is that none of the cars you're looking at are going anywhere. You can buy one now or in 2 years, it won't really matter. There's enough stressful things going on in the world, probably best not to introduce something that could add to it---especially if this would be considered an out of the norm extravagant purchase. I think for a good 2 months everyone had a sense of uncertainty about the future and if I was still working under that premise, I would be a lot more conservative with spending money.

Quote:
The two tripping point on a 911 vs stang is a) 3rd car hassles/cost and b) the roads here are frighteningly dull, arrow straight, absolutely rock solid arrow straight. I need to drive 90 minutes (no traffic) to find a decent bit of road and that is NOT an exaggeration.
If you can do any work on your own, that will help with the costs, but also, if it's a 3rd car, you won't be using it a ton, so costs will naturally be lower than if it was your daily. The driving situation would be a concern for me as well. I have some ok roads near me, but nothing like what's about 60 minutes away. But there's also something to be said about the feel of a high quality, well built car and it definitely doesn't require backroads to notice it. Of course, you could get that same feeling in something like a Mercedes SL, which will be a lot less sporty than a 911. If the porsche club near you is active, they might have some fun drives to go on a few times a year.

Quote:
I think i will get my 911, and I do think about the one I passed on, i just need to wait a bit longer I think.
Given what you said above, that's probably good. Gives you more time to do some research----maybe spend some more time in the cars your considering via Turo or other rental outlets if you think it would help.