View Single Post
      10-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #77
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
If we're just kicking around ideas, here's mine: I agree with those who say you only live once. My dad had a stroke, out of nowhere, when he was 41. He was a beanpole, so not some huge guy where you would expect such a thing. It happens. After the stroke, he was no longer able to drive. Stuff can happen at any time---expected and unexpected.

Let me ask you (the OP) about COVID. Why does it matter to you? Are you concerned about your job or is it more about the optics of buying an expensive sports car during a pandemic? If your job could be on the line, I can understand the hesitancy. If you're worried about optics, I'm not sure I fully understand. But I don't know your situation.

I will say that I owned a previous generation mustang GT, largely due to the rave reviews. At the time, the various media outlets made it seem like the mustang was 95% of what you get out of a e9X M3. Wrong. It might have been able to generate numbers fairly close, but the driving experience is quite a bit different. I now own an e92 M3, so I have a pretty decent perspective on both cars as well as what it's like going with both the cheap and the expensive option.

Now, not everyone notices or cares much about the difference. They may not feel the differences are worth spending double (or more) given how they generally drive. If at the end of the day, you're having a hard time seeing the "worth" of the 911, perhaps the mustang is the best way to go. If nothing else, it has a great exhaust note. If you're a "Porsche: there is no substitute" kind of guy, you're going to be really unhappy living with the mustang.