Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

IMHO, 5.6 ain't that slow with IS. My 400mm prime starts at 5.6 and then I hang the TC on that, with NO IS!! Of course I use a monopod with gimbal head when I get out at that far. At those focal lengths you really need a monopod or tripod. I've got both, but find that the mono usually does the trick, unless I'm doing HDR or long exposures.

I've attached an example of bokeh from today's adventures. I don't see anything wrong with it. (This is with the 25mm ET on the 70-200).

If you look at your images and one lens seems soft and the other seems sharp, that's significant. You don't need 300% blow ups to see these differences. I think the softness at 2.8 is worse than the noise caused by pushing the ISO an equivalent amount. Of course the 2.8 is sharper when you stop it down, but....why pay for it if you don't use it.

I think that most people don't need the 2.8. However, some will and they know who they are, but they'll constantly be in low light where they're willing to sacrifice a bit of sharpness (it's not horrible, by any stretch) to get the shots that they typically take.
I mean I dont disagree with you...

bokeh on F4 isnt bad by any stretch

theres absolutely nothing wrong with the 70-200 F4 IS/L.its a fantastic lens

As far as sharpness, I have the 2.8 IS/L, and I have no issues with soft images @ 2.8. I even have indoor hockey photos (for which 2.8 is necessary) which I shot handheld from the stands, and theyre by no means soft.

I'm not sure if perhaps the softness you see when comparing the 2.8 and the 4 is a focusing issue, but Ive seen both, and I dont have any issue with the 2.8 wide open.

I wasnt arguing that the F4 is bad, I was just saying, losing 1 stop to F5.6 isnt exactly ideal low light range, F4 would be much easier, and sometimes there are situations where that stop will make a difference, and if you can afford the extra stop, why not? The below hockey shot wouldnt be possible without anything lower than ISO3200 if I didnt have the extra stop. And I know seth takes a lot of concert shots and indoor stuff, so I figured, low light is important to him.

but I love the bee shot

this was taken handheld F2.8 180mm ISO1600 1/400 shutter..