View Single Post
      11-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #1
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

RTX 4090 12V power socket failure reproduced.

For those tracking the reported failures of the 12V high power socket failures, Gamers Nexus just put out a video where they were able to reproduce the failure. They also sent off the failed cables out to a lab for a full failure analysis. What they put together is the best and most complete analysis of this issue to date.

The TLDR for those that don't want to go through the entire video or don't want to be bothered to jump to the end of the video. It's a combo of user error and potentially manufacturing. The user error part are the following: not fully seating the connector into the GPU power socket, constant removal and re-installation of the connector, debris from the user doing the removal and re-installation of the cable, and over straining of the cable. The manufacturing contribution is possible foreign debris in the connector. They were clear that it doesn't matter which cable type you use as one isn't better than another. They were able to get failures on all of the different ones including the ones being recommended as the better ones.

Last edited by zx10guy; 11-16-2022 at 03:08 PM..