Thread: Jump Rope
View Single Post
      07-23-2022, 11:15 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

Cement is a hard surface. Blacktop is slightly softer. A running track surface is excellent. Wood gym studio floors or basketball courts seem pretty soft. They recommend pad surface for jumping - I saw them offered recently -but I have no interest in them.
But I jump wherever I can, usually on cement or back top. I like doing it outside.
I always jump wearing running shoes. I guess inside on a wooden floor you could go shoeless. W/O shoes would really strengthen your foot and ankle muscles, but might increase chance of injury.

If your just starting count reps, try for 100 reps. After awhile (two-months ?) jump for time 3-minutes, five-minutes and ten-minutes. I'm just giving examples not numbers that are in some way ideal.

Jump then rest for a few minutes then jump some more and repeat. It takes time (weeks) to start building up aerobic fitness to jump continuously for five-minutes (?) so stick with it. I probably wouldn't jump every day due to stresses.

practice two-feet synchronized and play around with speed and jump height. then progress to alternate toe-heel skip. On YouTube probably lots of good jumprope routines on boxing workout. Then learn to whip the rope with both hands on one side of your body without jumping then pull hands apart spreading rope in front as you simultaneously start jumping.

I also like doing alternate leg high stepping jumping. You bring your knee up to like waist height - but just for short spurts or to wheeze out at the end of a workout.

Just start jumping. then watch videos and try copying what appeals to you. There is no right or wrong, but once you start jumping your fitness will improve if you stick with it.

Last edited by overcoil; 07-23-2022 at 11:22 AM..