View Single Post
      01-15-2023, 12:19 PM   #589
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I think unless someone owns a car under warranty, the dealer is the absolute worst place to take your car for repair. Most of the dealer techs are fresh out of school, and their training focuses on the cars that are brand new sitting on the lot, as well as the cars still within warranty. Most of the time they know absolutely nothing about anything beyond that scope. Granted I own two older vehicles because I like them, but even with new cars I've heard horror stories. Not saying all dealerships are bad, but they are a business, and many of their business principles involve upselling the customer on something they might not need.

The last time my E90 saw a dealer was for a recall, and I chuckled to myself as the techs looked for something they could sell me on, only to realize I take meticulous care of the car, it has no leaks, and the only thing they could try to sell me was a $1700 set of run flat tires since the Michelins I had on it were not factory run flats.
The dealer is my go to for specialty nuts and bolts when I can’t wait for online orders and that’s pretty much it.

Another unpopular opinion is that you do not need a torque wrench for every single nut and bolt.
Guaranteed there are techs running down some bolts with a gun and calling it a day.

You can also start a bolt into the threads right from the gun and not cross thread anything. -A lot of people seem to think this is completely inappropriate, but it’s pretty easy not to cross thread, lol.