View Single Post
      01-15-2023, 09:01 AM   #585
vbb
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Curious on this topic: work-stress/pressure is self-induced.
I think this is somewhat related to a few of the other opinions that have been circulated in this thread. I think as a whole, North American society has become much more vocal about classifying the things that make them uncomfortable as being wrong/unfair/hostile.

The whole employer/employee agreement in a salaried job is that the employer will give the employee assignments and tasks to accomplish within that work week. In theory, the compensation is not just for production, but also as a way to offset the stress/uncomfortable-ness of the work. The employer pays a salary for an end product, but also pays knowing that it might be stressful at times to produce that end product on time. If it were easy for just anyone to meet the deadlines, the salary would be lower.

So yes, I think a lot of employers ask for way too much to get accomplished in too short an amount of time. But I also think a lot of employees feel as if any work-related pressure is completely unfair, even though that's literally what they are being paid for. Everyone wants to get the best end of the deal... employers want to get great production for lower pay, and employees want great salaries for easy jobs. Neither should be getting what they want 100% of the time. But it is unreasonable to act like you should feel no work related stress at all, and I do think a lot of that is self-inflicted due to these unreasonable expectations.