Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Averaging well over 25k miles per year for 40 years is surprising.

Like getting specialized health checkups, you can find many people that never did them and still lived a long time. It doesn't mean the check is worthless, especially if you have a family history of a problem. I also haven't paid for a Blackstone but with some engines prone to certain problems, like the S54 (the family history) and it's rod bearings that have shown to wear through, finding the problem before there is a problem has value. We have seen engines following the manufacturers recommendations still have problems, especially regularly tracked cars.
Based on what I have seen from reading basically every S65 and S85 thread here and on M5board, I am skeptical that even a 100% complete Blackstone history will let you know if/when you need to replace rod bearings, even with earlier production bearings containing lead.

I certainly wouldn't rely on low / consistent lead levels and conclude you don't need to swap out your bearings at high mileage or something. Without a detailed analysis of their methods, it's just a guess. For example, factors that matter could include what kind/size of particulates the rod bearing wear produces and how it interacts with the filter media.
A UOA will probably pick up a spike in lead but without one one more follow up UOAs the owner won't know if it was just a one-time particle streak. UOA rely on gas spectronomy so large particles will only get noticed via particle count. Not all labs will offer a particle count on motor oil.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line