View Single Post
      09-27-2017, 10:20 PM   #84
solstice
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I believe the Seattle area is the largest market for Tesla outside if CA.

Having lived in Seattle for over a decade now and dealing regularly with Tesla aficianados in both my professional and personal life, I frankly find them to be a bunch of insufferable nerds.

The cars and their tech is cool, but stop trying to act like its superior to X Y or Z sports car cause it's fast in a straight line. It's equivalent to Billy Bob thinking his Challenger is hot shyt compared to real sports cars. Tesla people are not car guys, they are tech nerds and their [lack of] knowledge of automobiles reflects that.
What I see most behind the wheel of Teslas are women and business guys in shirt and tie. Neither look like or speak like "car guys" but they are likely much more representative of the typical BMW buyer than bimmerpost petrol heads

I for sure aren't arguing that they are better than ICEs for a car guy but that's not the point I'm making, it is that Tesla is making a dent in the segments they play, $100k luxury sedans and SUVs and to not think that can translate to the $40k entry luxury sedan segment is a brave bet that I wouldn't do if I were BMW.

I like high revving NA I6s, V8s, V10s and V12 and highly communicative hydraulic steering and passive meticulously tuned suspension but cancelling that did not make a dent in BMWs sales numbers. Petrol heads preferences don't decide sales success or bust for BMW and it's competitors. Once they did play an important role but not in today's market and buyer profiles.

Btw whoever wrote that our anecdotal, personal bubble observation has little value is also right. But sales numbers matter and in the U.S there is no denying Tesla is making a dent in the upper luxury market since data support it.

Last edited by solstice; 09-27-2017 at 10:34 PM..
Germanauto9716.00