12-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #11
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
It's a fools game to make predictions about the future value of our cars. With rare exceptions old cars have generally not been of any great value until the Boomer generation reached a stage of affluence and decided to go after the cars they wanted as teens but couldn't afford. In the 1970s a Series 1 or 2 E-Type Jaguar could be purchased used for under $4,000 and a Porsche 356 was cheaper. Unless today's youth develop the same attachment to cars that earlier generations did, values may not climb. Given the fact that the automobile does not hold the same romantic aura today of freedom and the open road that it did for generations past it would be folly to make a car selection based upon perceived future value. Who knows, the most sought-after classic in 50 years could be a Tesla. Buy what you enjoy driving and enjoy it while you can.
I completely disagree with your statement. A fairly current example of this is the Toyota Supra. There was a time you could pick up a Supra for nothing. I used to work for Toyota Motors Sales, USA and had plenty of opportunity to buy a Supra even cheaper than you would in the general market.

In some respects they are very similar cars. They are at the top of their game. While we currently have twin turbo cars from BMW it's highly unlikely you'll ever see a high reving NA engine from BMW.

Shit they have even gone AWD on the new M5. If you said that was possible years ago I would have laughed at you.

If I had the money i would buy anything used (M Cars), anything Porsche, anything Ducati, anything AMG.
Appreciate 2
IanB229.50
Bimmed Out1908.50