View Single Post
      02-19-2021, 08:10 AM   #21
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I have some Sono's speakers on my covered front porch and back deck above the hot tub. I use a Nest thermostat and Nest smoke detectors. I won't be getting any of that shit that listens to me, Alexa etc. I have a friend into it and it's a bit creepy, both his love of it and the fact that it's always listening. I know that law firms are forbidding them in their offices for security reasons. I'm not paranoid, but I seriously suggest that everyone who's thinking about it think long and hard about what you bring into your home.

Only place I have Alexa is in the garage. I like that I can tell it to play music, change stations without having to use grungy hands and the biggest thing is it can call my wife if needed (say the car falls on me). I got it free from SiriusXM when I renewed so I figured that's the best place to put it. If it wants to spy on me yelling at rusty bolts then by all means.

I do have smart cameras by Wyze but only on the outside of the house, no way would I put cams inside. Our TV's are all smart but again none have cameras. My wife has considered it to watch our pets through the day since one has a life threatening illness but I'm not keen on the idea for multiple reasons.

I also have smart plugs for the garage which controls all the lighting and one inside the house. 3 smart bulbs are also on the system but I plan on changing those back in the near future.