03-28-2023, 09:59 AM   #7589
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardofors68 View Post
I do agree with you. Learned that as I started my sportbike initiation. I have the scars of my squidness too.
But to clarify; we were referred to as squids by other service's members. We also used to call each other squid as a funny put-down.
I was in the aviation community, so we'd call aircrew pickle suits, etc.
We'd call Marines, jarheads, devil-dogs,etc. Grunts were the front-line Marines.
Army guys don't remember since I didn't come across them too often.
Air Force guys; I don't remember losing any zapping challenges against them.
Zapping was something you do if you had another unit's bird in your flightline, carrier, etc. You would mark that airplane with your unit's decal, emblem, or message.

But all in all, I always had great rapport with all my service's brothers and sisters.
We all did it. I can't speak for today though. It's a strange new military world out there, just like the rest of society. Grumble, Grumble.

I will tell you about the best tag I was ever involved in. In 1969 I was a member of VA-215 the "Barn Owls" flying A7B's off the USS Enterprise CVN-65 in Vietnam. One of the guys in our shop (ordnance) had a brother who was ships company, and a nuclear technician assigned to the reactor spaces. He would come up to our shop and hang out a lot, and became an honorary member of our motley crew. Great guy. I don't remember who it was that came up with the idea, but we decided to "tag" the reactors (there were 4 of them on the Enterprise) with our squadron emblem with "Nuc" being the perpetrator. He had access to all areas of the reactor spaces including inside of the reactors themselves. Yes, people regularly entered the reactors to inspect, maintain, and take readings. There was a large window in the entry door through which you could see most areas inside, the exception of course being the "Hot Box" containing the rods themselves.

Prior to implementation we ran this by our Weapons Officer who loved it, and then ran it by our Squadron Commander ("Frenchy" LeBlanc) who loved it even more. Nuc took 4 emblems and pasted one inside of each of the 4 reactors - with pictures of course. God I wish I still had that picture! Frenchy told us that he had a most enjoyable conversation with the Ships Captain. A gotcha moment much relished.