View Single Post
      06-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
The X1 35i is like a 335i 5-door hatch given the Subaru Outback raised ride height and body cladding treatment. It's generally fun but the back seat is small, I'm 5'11" and sitting in the back with the driver's seat adjusted for myself is very cramped. It has the older 6-speed Steptronic auto which stock isn't the most responsive transmission but can be greatly improved with xHP Flashtool.

If you want an actually usable back seat, the X3 35i has the same motor, it's not quite as small/compact as the X1 but it's certainly a lot sportier than an old ML CDI. It has the ZF 8-speed instead of the Steptronic. M Sport with Dynamic Handling package is very fun indeed.

Also check out the second-gen Infiniti FX, a.k.a. QX70. It's another step bigger/heavier than the X3 but still very chuckable handling for a midsize crossover. It has a Nissan 7-speed auto that's not as nice as the ZF 8 but better than the stock 6-speed Steptronic. The FX50/QX70 5.0 has a 390 hp V8 but gets crap mileage and you'd probably need winter wheels & tires since it comes standard with 20" wheels, or 21" wheels on the sport package (which also adds adaptive shocks, sport seats and other assorted goodies). The FX37/QX70 3.7 with the V6 still has 325 hp.