View Single Post
      01-06-2024, 02:12 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh6363 View Post
How is San Fran. I am going to be travling there for work in the next few weeks. Thinking of taking my wife and kid with me.

Is it safe for her to walk around, shop and roam?
Will be staying down town and near Chinatown.

We live in NYC so not strangers to city urban life.

Feedback would be helpful.

Thanks
I lived in the City from 1959 to 1995 and still go back every few years to see family and friends. My visits, however, don't take me to the neighborhoods that receive all the press.

I think this City resident's recent effort to answer questions like yours is both factually informative and usefully unsensational: https://www.inside-guide-to-san-fran...sco-crime.html.

If you're going to have a car, I think you'll find the sections entitled "Car Break-ins 2023 so far" and "Latest on where not to park" worth reviewing. Summarized, those areas are generally places tourists go, although car break-ins are an issue all over the City.

Given where you'll be staying, I don't see why you can't take your family and have an enjoyable time in San Francisco. The hotel's concierge desk can advise you regarding the surrounding areas, including Chinatown.

The Bay Area has wonderful views available from any number of spots in the City, Marin County and across the bay in Berkeley and Oakland. In the City itself, a trip up to the top of Twin Peaks is a must for incredible views. I think it's the best view in the region. Pro tip: If it's going to be foggy, go early in the day before the fog rolls in.

Be sure and let us know what you decided on and how your trip went!