12-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #42
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by F000007 View Post
I think that a lot of comments pitched against current Aston Martin design are really unfounded. Everyone can certainly think whatever they desire, all I will state are the facts. This design (Vertical-Horizontal platform) first entered production in 2003 with the introdution of the DB9 coupe. In 2005 the V8 Vantage was introduced and in 2007 the DBS. Including 2008 this is a six year generation span which is absolutely acceptable, even for mass manufactured vehicles, not to speak of course of the fact that AML is a low volume manufacturer with an output of 7000 vehicles per year. Next Generation V8 Vantage/DB 9 will be presented in 2010/2011 and I think that such a business plan is undoubtedly well measured. On top of that, since the company was bought out in 2007, there have been only immense improvements made and a franatic pace set for future developments. The company introduced 3 new vehicles in roughly 18 months. The DBS, as mentioned, in 2007, the Rapide concept entering production in 2009 and the One-77 which is as everyone knows from the ground-up newly engineered/designed. This vehicle, even though out of reach for most people, will enable the company to do extensive R&D on it so that all of the new elements introduced can later be implemented/transferred onto the rest of the range. Also, the company has revived the Lagonda brand which will see the first production vehicle arrive in 2012 and the concept will be presented in 2009. Another important fact is that the company has partnered with Mercedes-Benz to work together on a number of future products. The main reason for AML is to be able to successfully introduce the Lagonda brand to the market with the help of such a successful manufacturer of high-end limousines/SUVs that will make up the range of vehicles offered under this brand. As far as Mercedes goes, their main goal is to ensign help from a luxury low volume coach builder like AM in order to be able to successfully introduce the next generation Maybach since the current version wasn't much of a success. MB would provide the platform for the vehicle and most likely give AML the freedom to come up with both the exterior/interior design. As mentioned, if these ventures prove successful, a number of other joint developments would ensue. One last thing to say is that this current range of Aston Martins is without a doubt the best and most profitable in their history. The vast majority also agrees that it is the most beautiful ever produced. The last time Aston Martin had a range of vehicles completely different from one another it was on the brink of ruin. I hope this clears up some misconceptions that people might have, but as the old saying goes, if you don't agree, to each his own.
You state many valid points, but the fact is, the DB9/S, AMV8, and Rapide all look too similar. There's very, very little to differentiate them exterior-wise (and even interior wise, disregarding dimensions). The only instantly recognizable differences between the AMV8 and DB9 are the strong character line running beneath the DLO on the Vantage, the fenders, and the crisper tail design. The front and rear ends are more-or-less the same, minus a duct here and a crease there.