01-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #233
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
I'm sure building codes vary from region to region and fireplace to fireplace but it my case this is way out of code. Of course the whole house is combustable but that's not the point. You need certain standoffs between the fireplace and the combustable material.

The original fireplace/mantle was likely built to code during the initial construction of the home. As a contractor, you would know that building codes have become more restrictive over the years regarding fire safety concerns. I would suspect there is a minimum of 12 inch clearance required between combustable materials and a masonry fireplace.
what's around the fireplace is not what's considered code. it's how the fireplace is built and the components involved. so with that said any home owner can build whatever he pleases on, around and on top of the fireplace like the mantle and he would not be in violation of code. as long as the fireplace itself is built within code. but nowadays I've seen codes broken everywhere
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg