Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I don't think my comment in raising the issue of GM dying was without validation either.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/168109?from=rss

They are clearly in trouble. What kind of a company losses $2.5billion in a single quarter? Unless they get help, they may or may not, the only other alternative would be for some other company to buy them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
No one is going to flame you for brining up facts. I don't think anyone here is debating the fact that GM/Ford are in trouble. Your previous point suggested that we let them go out of business so we can all get behind a "real" car company, that's where we have the issue.
+1 It's obvious that GM/Ford/Chrysler are in trouble and something has to be done.

UltimateBMW - Just curious, but I believe you made the comment before on the manufacturing/retail infrastructure already being in place for a new company to come in and "do it right". Who do you expect to do that, or where do you see the money coming from? Not flaming you, but asking a genuine question. It's not as simple as buying a plant, some dealers, and saying "let's make cars".

Given the turn the global market has taken lately, I don't see this as a likely option; which really leaves the US government's involvement as the only option. Keep in mind that in the mid 80's the French government stepped in and saved Renault from bankruptcy. It wasn't till over a decade later that the company was again privatized; but with their Nissan alliance, they have returned to profitability. I don't think the GM/Ford are beyond saving.
The reality is that the choices made in the past regarding the Big Three's legacy costs, have now come back to bite them in the ass. Those are the catalyst that caused this snowballing problem.

As for your other comment on your job in no "way, shape, or form going to be imposed upon if GM dies". If you don't want to share your profession, it's fine. But the global (let alone national) impact of GM going under is monumental. If you would truly be unaffected, consider yourself fortunate, but understand you're an exception.