11-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #83
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I don't think my comment in raising the issue of GM dying was without validation either.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/168109?from=rss

They are clearly in trouble. What kind of a company losses $2.5billion in a single quarter? Unless they get help, they may or may not, the only other alternative would be for some other company to buy them out.
No one is going to flame you for brining up facts. I don't think anyone here is debating the fact that GM/Ford are in trouble. Your previous point suggested that we let them go out of business so we can all get behind a "real" car company, that's where we have the issue.

As for the interior comparison (my 330 is very similar to the M3 in layout): the standard interior is good in the Corvette. The materials are good enough for the price point. Add the 3LZ package to get the all leather interior and it's much nicer looking and feeling. It's a matter of personal preference. I do like the BMW interior sans i-Drive. I hate that wart on the dash. It's an option on the M3, but then you loose the ability to configure the car.
As for the Z06 - once you're driving the car, you're not looking at the interior (heads-up display is perfect). You need to pay attention to where you're going because everything is coming up quick. Plain and simply, the car is still under priced by about $10-30K for the performance you're getting. If you want to upgrade the interior you can do so very nicely for about that price range ($20K will get you a complete leather interior for Callaway or Caravaggio - using Italian hides, better than most luxury car companies). Have you priced up the complete leather interior of a Porsche later? GM put all the money into the chassis and engine vs. the interior. The interior would be the cheapest to upgrade vs. re-engineering the suspension or adding an aluminum/magnesim frame after the fact. That being said, yes, the M3 does have a nicer interior IMO, but it's not perfect either.

I'm guessing that most people on this board are just looking for respect where respect is due and not dissing someone or some car "just because" it's a certain manufacturer. It's your opinion, but be realistic with what you're saying.
Corvettes are world class sports cars and not just a big engine. On the highway I would get around 26mpg with my car. It dynoed at 452rwhp.