View Single Post
      08-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

why did you sell the R8? Was it a V8 or V10?

Having owned an e46 and e92, I think you will feel slightly disappointed in the F8X engine if you're looking for a visceral, soulful engine that provides a top-end rush. I also agree with you that 335i is fun for a while b/c of the silky smooth torque but it still feels like an "everyday" car if you will. The F8X just felt like a much faster version of that...no top end rush. The rpm window of punch/ferocity/noise feels small, maybe ~4k to 5.5k. Yes it's fast throughout the entire rpm range but it just felt very vanilla.

To be fair I also wasn't a big fan of the E92's lack of low end torque either. I think the e46 had just enough torque to be flexible around town but had the zing on the top-end to make you wet your pants everytime you explored the top of the 8k rpm range. I could care less about how fast a car is (as long as it's respectable). What I do care about is how it makes me feel when I go fast.

I'm sure many will disagree with me - but that was my experience albeit it was a short test drive and others have commented that the F8x M3 grows on you. I take it you've driven some pretty special cars in your life so your bar for cars that feel special to you is probably going to be difficult to meet. Just my hunch.
Appreciate 0