Thread: Alignment specs
View Single Post
      02-26-2018, 08:14 AM   #16
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

I am at -2.7 on the front and have really even temperature distribution between the inside and outside of the tires.

At -2.2 on the rears, I am experiencing a 6*F different between the inside and outside of the tire (inside hotter). I'll need to dial it back to -2 or -1.8.

Something to keep in mind for some folks that may be browsing for information, these alignments are for the track. Doing these alignments for a car that is for the street is expensive and less safe. With a lot of camber, you have less of a tire contact patch with the ground when driving normally. Less contact with the ground = less traction. With a lot of camber, you'll also wear out the inside of your tire a lot more quickly than if you kept stock alignment (because you changed the contact patch from an even distribution across the tire to just the inside).

The reason for this alignment is for the track or autocross where you are pulling a lot of lateral Gs and the lean of the car requires camber to get the max contact patch on turns for extra traction. It also saves money on tires since the contact patch is spread equally on the hard turns instead of the outside edge.

"Spirited" driving on public roads do not need all the extra camber. You don't need more camber to get rid of the understeer if you don't track/autocross. If anybody every runs into an understeer/oversteer issue on dry public roads, that's more of a public safety issue.

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0