04-07-2017, 03:06 AM   #16
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
I really think he believes he can stay 2 more seasons and turn things around. I've said this before, but I don't think you can name a coach in any sport that hasn't been fired for not winning a title in 13 years.
Of course he believes it.....he's the only one though, especially given all his past promises over the last decade or more, that's why only the serial delusional Gooners want him to stay (as well as the board and club owner of course)

For example:
In 2014 Wenger, adamant that he now has a group of players that are creating "something special".......... declared in a statement....

"I will win Premier League title with Arsenal again inside three years"

A lot of the fan anger is due to the fact that the whole Emirates move was sold to the fans as a necessity in order to increase revenue, so as to maintain their title/trophy challenges. Whereas the reality is that it was blatantly done to increase revenue, so as to line the pockets of the shareholders. And of course one of the highest paid manager's in the world. There clearly is little ambition to actually challenge or win anything. They've been in the top 6-7 highest revenue clubs in the world for years, yet haven't progressed past the last 16 of the CL for 7 years.

They aren't going to get relegated, so why are they sitting on all this money? Why aren't they investing it in the squad, in an attempt to win something? They clearly have the money to spend but the board choose not to. What is the point of Arsenal Football Club, if not to win trophies? Is it simply to make as much money for the owners, with the minimum outlay - eg: finishing in the CL places (guaranteed £30m-40m) but investing no money in actually attempting to win it? And if Wenger is about to sign another £8m+ a year contract, then the suggestion that he is utterly complicit in this lack of ambition is true.

All the while the fans are charged the most expensive tickets in the world....still they should be grateful that they've helped their $8bn owner recently buy a 800sqm ranch to become the ninth-largest landowner in the US.
Still, none of his 5 US sports franchises have ever shown any ambition to win either.

Replacing Wenger is only half of the problem to Arsenal competing for trophies again, getting a new owner and board is the other (and harder) problem the club faces.