mrduder
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduder View Post
it's all a matter of opinion, but I think the F80 sounds best. I think the stock exhaust sounds great. don't quite understand why everyone hates it? yeah the V8 sounds good, but I'd still take the F80 over it any day. looks and performance over sound any day.
See thats the problem i have right there. Its not about picking one or the other.

I bought a new car partly because i was bored with the performance of the E92. when spending 70k new or used. I want a car that is going to be faster, and sound good. the F80 is much faster than the E92, and it looks pretty sexy. but it lacks a good sounding motor.

Its not even a v8 vs v6 thing either, or a turbo vs N/A thing. The F80 to a lot of people simply doesn't sound good for a performance engine. I feel a 4 cylinder turbo STI sounds better, a GTR sounds better, the new 2016 911 carrera turbo 6 sounds better. Then you got AMG with the new 4.0L V8 turbo which sounds pretty cool.
lets face it BMW made a great car with the F80, but it lacks in the sound department when comparing to cars that cost around the same price or more.

when i buy a car i need these three things. (order doesn't mean anything)

-looks
-sound
-performance
just seems weird that so many people would buy a car that they HATE the sound of so badly. if it's that big of a deal, then why get it? seems dumb to complain about it when everyone knew what they were getting. if it's that big of a deal, don't get it. I find it hard to believe that this many people that complain about the sound of this car actually own it. and again, it's all personal taste. I think the F80 sounds great. I own it. I drive it daily. I love it. compared to every single one of those you mentioned, it still sounds great to me. they're all different. they all have "their" sound.

at this point it's like people bought a blue shirt, knowing it was blue, but they don't like the specific blue tone. well, then why'd you buy it? just kinda over the whole topic at this point.