ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Specifically, I am wondering if you buy an extended warranty on a car?

Do you buy an extended warranty on anything else?
Rarely on a car - but have. My wife can put 25K on a car in a year, so...typical 36K warranty is up in a year and a half. I went extended on a Ford for her...but had a "don't use, get your money back clause". For my Jeep, it came with a free 'lifetime warranty' - although it requires to have all service work done at the stealership (oil changes, etc). With a 2014 that now has 67K on it...I can say the service work has added up considerably $$$$, and with 0 issues, I'm questioning the 70K service interval. Only advice I can offer...make sure it's transferable...as if you don't use it and ditch the car, it could be money not so well spent. Also, you need to read some of the fine print...may find out you need to do specific service work, or have the work done by their mechanics (warranty provider...not the dealership).

Only other item I bought an extended warranty on was my underwater camera (actually, wife got it, not me). Sadly, I left the battery door open on a dive in the Galapagos Islands and toasted the camera with water. Warranty paid it off in full...so, money well spent.