OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBER ///M3 View Post
This gave me chills, I can't imagine how you felt..gladd all is well though
Yea, for a split second, I thought we might be swapping paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Whoa, close call

This seems like a classic beginner mistake from that red car, keeping the eyes on the car ahead instead of where he wants to go.

Glad everything turned out OK
Yea, the more common comments made by local track buddies on Facebook is that the guy had a 'target fixation.'

It's not conclusive yet, but he actually may have saved the situation...

My forwardCam ran out of battery on this last session, so I don't have a footage to review, but in the rearCam footage, if you focus on the trajectory of his car only, it almost looks like he thought I may be spinning to our left and decided to (in order to keep up his speed/momentum) go around my car to his right (hence, what's captured in the first picture). Then, when my car started drifting out to our right, his car (by now, 2 wheels in the dirt) abruptly turned left to dodge mine? Really wished my forwardCam captured the frontal view & my hands.

However, the rearCam footage shows that my car does steadily drift out to our right. So, in retrospect, instead of him trying to keep his speed/momentum up and drive around (at speed) a car in front of him in trouble, had he just slowed down to let me go off, wherein that lap might be a throw-away lap for him (this day was bimmer challenge & S2k challenge event), the drivers side half of my car might not have a ton of rock chips going right past tough Xpel full car clearbra and into the paint. For a while there, our cars were close, very close, at speed and our tires were kicking up rocks at each other.

I'm just hoping that he has this on video. It would be a nice addition to the on-going Oh-Sh*t-Moments saga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M View Post
Sounds like one of those boosted S2K. Scary!!! Obviously he was "racing" you rather than trying to have a good time or put down a good lap time. Sounds more like a guy who needs to stay at least at intermediate level. I'm just glad you both are ok.
Well, as I said, it was a bimmer & S2k challenge day (Cadillac/CTS-V also), so people were competing.

And, this guy was consistently faster than me by a second most of the day.

After the usual random first session, they pre-grid us for the subsequent sessions based on our previous session lap times. And, in sessions 2 & 3, this car was pre-grid'd directly in front of me. In fact, it was very quick, fully-aero'd (& probably power-mod'd) three S2k's that were at the front of the grid. So, while this guy may not be a season'd pro (who is, on HPDE events?), he's no slouch.

On this last session of the day, it was hot, my tires were greasy, and I get into trouble by trying to carry too much momentum thru a tricky corner. Meanwhile, rearCam clearly shows this aero'd car just tightly gripping the track. I mean, yea there's a chance that he lost focus and subconsciously followed my car off the track, but I think it's more of a case of him being in control and not slowing down a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
He was mesmerized by the BFD and got pulled into the vortex .

I like the Chaff Countermeasures that you were throwing down
Hah, had a lot of people coming up to me after each sessions inquiring "hey, what's that brake lights on your car flashing at heavy braking points? How'd you get that on your M3?"

Thanks for coding my car for BFD!
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34

Last edited by OC3; 03-23-2014 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0