Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
That's what I do. But the difference of this lens vs. any other lens that I have is the lenght; thus making the handling different.

I have the usual stance (with a short lens) where both elbows are tackled against my ribs, but this lens makes it impossible without feeling ackward. So I need to find a stable way to hold it and lower my shutter speed from there. I naturally put my left hand real close to the optics since this lens got some AF-lock buttons at this end. So want it or not, this is pretty much the only way to hold this lens.

I'm pretty sure I got the shape to handle it properly; I just need to find the proper stance. But I couldnt imagine myself handling this beast without my sling.
Find the balance point by holding it with only your left hand. Use the AF lock button on the back of the camera, not on the lens. Concentrate on using the zoom without effort. Those other buttons can be worked between shots.

It's really not that heavy and you need to think of it that way. I've taught two women to hand hold a 500/f4, so I know that you can gain full and complete control of your lens.

Dave