11-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #92
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Well this is embarrassing. My father owns one and I drive it nearly every day (we commute together). Its hardly a turd. And I personally believe that I can say with a bit more authority than you can. I actually believe it to be one of the best cars that you can buy from BMW right now.

You know what was a turd? The 328 loaner I had last week. That was a turd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
The current 328 is abominable. Never should the base model flagship have strayed so far from core philosophy of what made BMW, BMW. You want evidence that the company has changed it's focus? There it is. Out in plain sight.

I actually think the i3 is probably the most interesting looking EV out there. It reminds me a little of the Honda Element. That's about all I can say about it without being rude though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaSMP300 View Post
I agree with you. I actually am not a huge fan of the new 3 series. But I also do not see it as a flagship car. The focus of the car industry in general is changing and BMW is adapting to it. Lets just hope the next generation 3 series will be an improvement, well in our eyes.

I also agree that the i3 is quite interesting to look at. If BMW had turned the Active E 1 series into the body for their i3 I would have looked into that car as a DD. As it stands now though, if the time comes for me to look for an EV I will be looking elsewhere.
This is the EXACT point I was trying to make earlier when I said BMW used to make cars for enthusiasts. The 3-Series was the basis for a great driver cars and now it doesn't seem to be the case. They've gone soft.

Also, I do believe you're going to get cross-shopping with the M2/3/4. The M2 because they're going to be priced closely. The M3/4 it'll be hard to ignore the GT350 due to the performance and the value. Ford has stepped up their game in quality and so far I've read the quality of the new Mustang interior is really good.