View Single Post
      11-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Gentlemen, when the first 1M was delivered to our Canadian friend, he was told by the ///M people that they went with the ZCP wheels because they were the strongest they had..if I recall. This car makes a lot of torque. I believe powdercoating reheats the wheels and might compromise their integrity. I don't think they will completely break off but might crack hitting a bump or bend. I don't think this would be an issue with less torque, but personally, I would think twice about reheating these wheels. As I have said before a lot of people here think they know more than the engineers at BBS or BMW, but I would recommend you look into it before doing it.

It might be an urban legend, but I do know that heat treatment and cooling rates etc during casting are carefully controlled, so just a word of caution. If you have them shot with automotive paint and even a clear coat, they should last a bit. Worst case, you can always re-shoot them in the future.

I am looking into a place to shoot my wheel a gunmetal color, not black, but darker grey.

That's my two cents worth.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0