View Single Post
      01-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #1480
Prevost87
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
I can't even imagine what it would cost to take an obsolete engine design from the 90s and update to pass modern emissions and fuel consumption requirements. For the volume of sales there is no way it was going to happen.

From everything I've read, it was either find a partner that had an I6 engine that they could use or not do it at all.

Considering how many awards the B58 has won, it's not like it's a crap engine. By the time they would have engineered their own new I6 it would have ended up being very very similar to the B58 anyway as they would have likely made the same design decisions that BMW had to in order to make it as efficient, cost effective and emissions compliant as a modern engine has to be.

So had they redesigned their own, the same people would be complaining that they had to made these design choices. You simply can't make an engine like the 2JZ anymore ... any more than you can make things like non turbo V8s ... something else people pine for.

The real question is - if you want a modern I6 RWD two seater sports car with Japanese styling ... does this fit the bill? It's a VERY small market segment these days and the few other offerings are getting VERY long in the tooth and may not be updated / just get discontinued.
Fuel efficiency of a modded 2j would be average I think but the emissions I did not consider. Very strong points and you are right about the B58 being a great motor of choice. Voted in the top 10 engines of 2019 I believe.