c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM98 View Post
Anyone make the change from a 1-series to a Cayman? I am getting to a point where I'm bored with my car. Its a 2009 135i Auto, FBO on E40 Tune w/88k Miles and is mechanically sound. I typically drive less than 5k miles a year so its more of a weekend car.

Its dumb fast in a straight line, but it just doesn't feel exciting nor very special anymore. The N54 doesn't particularly sound great, even with an exhaust. I know that there will be a massive power difference between the two, but do the other driving aspects of the Porsche make up for it? I am looking at 2009 S's with low (50kish) miles. Any opinions?
I think you have what happens to most of us, performance dysmorphia. At first the car seems exciting, fast and thrilling, but as you get used to it, it becomes your new baseline and now you’re looking for more.

As for the Porsche Cayman, I’d say you definitely need to drive it. They handle wonderfully and the fit and finish is there. But you really have to wring them out to get the glorious sounds and speed where a 135i is much more instantaneous. We got a 718 and it drives a bit more similarly to the 135i since there’s boost and you feel the torque much earlier. However there is a bit more turbo lag as compared to the 135i especially since it’s a flat four. I really test drove several Cayman S and a couple GTS but felt the 718 was so much better for me.

As for the Corvette mentioned above. I love mine but it’s truly more of a GT car. It’s very fast, grips wonderfully and does everything well. You should also look at them especially since dealers are trying to get rid of existing stock before the C8 comes out. I would say even a base stingray is wonderful as well.