View Single Post
      06-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #27
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
K band is NOT entirely useless in CA. I've been hit with K band a few times - that's why I still have mine turned ON.

Agreed, except that it keeps falsing to BSM
I have never gotten hit by K band ever in Northern California.

From RDForums:

Quote:
Without a doubt, you can turn off X band. On CHP-patrolled large freeways, 34.7 KA is your primary threat (I'd say 95%). On some other freeways with other patrolling agencies, you may see some 35.5 as well (particularly Placer County, as well as national parks).

There have been sightings of city police cars equipped with or using K band guns, including possibly modern K band guns like the Raptor RP-1, which have compact patch antennas much like a Stinger.... But that's a really really rare possibility compared to the other bands.

If you cannot trust K band alerts from your detector, you are better off turning it off. It's much more important to be able to trust your detector to the point that you take braking action before listening for a band ID or reading a frequency. That is far more likely to save you against sneaky CHP tactics versus the marginal benefit of discovering a city cop with K band.