06-11-2019, 06:45 AM   #28
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherM4n View Post
I racked up over a hundred track days between 2006-2015 and I would never have considered anything but a stickshift. Performance driving to me is not about speed per se, but more about problem solving, and giving up some of those problems over to the car so it could solve them for me (e.g., traction control, transmission, etc.) defeats the entire purpose in my eyes. I wasn't racing with any big prizes on the line, but if I had been can see how taking variables from the driver would be beneficial. I was simply out there to see how well I could maneuver the car over the twisting tarmac and around traffic while feeling out things such as grip and brakes and while smoothly and simultaneously using more controls than I had limbs at the entrance to every turn. If someone wants to have a car go around a track in the shortest time possible by using instantly-shifting computer controlled transmissions and whatnot, more power to them. That's not what I was after, though.
I think some drivers are in love with technology where as some drivers (me included) like to be making the decisions and have the control. My 2015 Benz has so much electronics that I'm always worried about that equipment failing.
SherM4n630.00