06-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #83
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
You also have to account for the time it takes to slip in your gear if we are looking only at time considerations. Realistically, putting on a 2-piece cordura suit, gloves and boots, and storing your 'civilian cloth' in some bag will take you no less than 5 to 7 minutes morning and afternoon and may very well eat the major part of the time saving.
This is one of the reasons I don't ride very often to work. I can ride in the HOV lane of I66 in Northern Virginia. But I need to change twice, unless its a Friday. I soon figured out it didn't save much time riding in the HOV lane and then changing twice. And in the summer, heat and humidity suck in traffic. Okay if you are out on a day ride, but to get into the office and be presentable to clients after a load of exhaust has deposited on you. Nope.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."