02-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
thanks, i think i'm set on the four post design... definitely not going with a quick jack, i want to be able to park a car under it.
the reason i want to go with a four post is i have a very oddly balanced solid axle 4x4 that i'll work on occasionally. i don't know what it weighs, but its heavily front biased.
although the truck won't be stored under/over it, i think i can still get two cars stored without a high clearance garage (i'm not sure what the height is, i'll have to check).
So let me throw an idea at you. Some people are uncomfortable with leaving a car on a 2 post lift because the suspension hangs unsupported. While I've left my car for weeks at a time on my lift when working on it only on the weekends and never had an issue with the suspension (I'm still on most all the original bushings), I know BMW owners are BOCD (Beyond OCD), so I 'll not argue the point. In weather emergencies I store two of my BMWs in the garage bay with the lift, one on top of the other, so I do occasionally use my lift for 2-car storage.

But if I were afflicted with BOCD, and had a two post lift and wanted to store two cars, I'd just use four (4) under-hoist jack stands, one under each wheel and lightly set the car down to put some load on the suspension. Using these:
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."