View Single Post
      10-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #1378
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I can't think of a single instance where M shared their engines with regular BMWs. I don't see why this would change now.
Right, although the 1M and M2 have done it the other way around - borrowed a non-M engine for an M car. Edit: Z8, technically, although it was in some ways an M vehicle by a different name. BMW has suggested this could occur more in the future too. Maybe not an "S" engine in a series BMW, but on the other hand, maybe a future would-be "S" engine isn't called an "S" engine at all anymore. Then you plug it in wherever you want. Or it simply goes by both an S and B name, depending on application.

My point is that BMW could do it this way and it would seem to be better than having the overlap or near-overlap with the high-ouput B58 and low-output S58 (coming to the M2 "CS"), and the same thing with the S58 and the N63. Sure, this same type of overlap has always been there. But with turbocharged engines, there is better opportunity for reuse across different products. In the past, you didn't want to put an S54 or S65 in a 5 Series, 7 series, or SUV. But now, as the competition has shown, you can use the same engine in both a high performance application and a large luxury vehicle.

Quote:
Yes, next year will indeed be insane. But I think it will be grouped in more logical ways. Spring will bring i8 LCI and i8 Roadster, M2 Comp right after or right before that, and new X4. In the summer we'll see 8 series coupe and convertible, Z4, then X5 and X7 together.
That makes some sense too, although I would think they want to give that X7 either lots of space, or bring it with the 8 Series. Again, just to emphasize the additions to the premium range. We'll see though.

Quote:
Also, don't forget about the expansion of X2 and X3 model ranges. Considering its future influence, I will be most interested in X2 M35i.
Yep. Hopefully the X1 gets that engine also. I guess maybe they would prefer it to be an X2 exclusive initially though, to get sales rolling on the brand new model.