View Single Post
      10-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #1377
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Finally, to bring this back around to my intended endpoint - the S58 could also be used in higher end M*40i products too, like the Z4 M40i. You just use the lowest tune in those products (~400hp), the mid range tune for the 5/6 range of *50i vehicles (~450hp), and the highest state of tune for the true M vehicles in 3/4 range (500hp+). The B58 would stick around for standard 40i products in the 5/6/7/8 range with 350hp. It would also remain in the 2 Series CLAR M*40i products with that same output.
I can't think of a single instance where M shared their engines with regular BMWs. I don't see why this would change now.
Quote:
Regarding the release date, I still think next year is going to be insane with all the new products arriving. Usually an automaker tries to space things out and give each new vehicle its own time to shine in the limelight, but with so much coming in 2018, it seems as there will have to be some products sharing public debut timeframes, perhaps even with co-announcements. If they were going to combine any of them, the X4 and X5 would seem to make a good pairing. Or perhaps the 8, X7, and i8 Roadster could come together to usher in the new "Ultra Premium" lineup they've been hyping up with all the talk of the black-and-white BMW roundel and so on.
Yes, next year will indeed be insane. But I think it will be grouped in more logical ways. Spring will bring i8 LCI and i8 Roadster, M2 Comp right after or right before that, and new X4. In the summer we'll see 8 series coupe and convertible, Z4, then X5 and X7 together.

Also, don't forget about the expansion of X2 and X3 model ranges. Considering its future influence, I will be most interested in X2 M35i.