View Single Post
      05-09-2022, 07:00 PM   #44
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Haiii View Post
Wow thanks for all your inputs, I appreciate it. Dealer said the reason timing jumped is because these variable timing mechanisms are oil pressure driven. So no oil pressure = timing jumps. Is that a bunch of bogus?

It would be nice to see if I can just correct timing and add oil but to tear down the engine and inspect the variable timing "pins" will cost 1k. So is it worth 1k of risk to just examine what they think is broken? And then if it ends up not being that, i have to spend another few grand to take apart the engine more to diagnose.

I am leaning towards paying the 6 grand to replace the engine with a brand new unit that comes with the 10 year warranty. In the grand scheme of things 6k is not that bad for a brand new engine including labor...

Also, very interesting how some are saying the cylinder picture shows no damage and some say it shows scoring...

Ive also thought of having the car towed to a non dealer mechanic to have them check it out, but like i said, its just keep throwing money at something that may and most likely will need a new engine...
Did you look at the link I provided? If your car is in that list, you'd be a fool to spend money on any engine work before either contacting Hyundai corporate letting them know you're aware of the high oil consumption problems or contacting the attorneys heading up the class action lawsuit.