View Single Post
      05-09-2022, 09:04 AM   #39
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Haiii View Post
To answer some of your questions, the car will crank but not start when oil is added. None of the valves are damaged. Bearing clearance test passes. Havent done compression test yet. We don't know how long the car was run without oil but I would guess 30 - 50 miles at varying speeds. This is a hyundai 2.0 liter 4 cylinder na engine. It was our fault, not any fault of the car. The car is currently at the dealer and the conundrum is dealer will charge a thousand bucks just to do a teardown. The service advisor said the camshafts are pointing in wrong directions as a result of the engine jumping timing. He blamed a variable valve timing "pin" as a culprit for now. I dont want to spend a thousand bux to do a teardown and have them start pointing out all these things that need to be done which will drive up the repair bill to god knows what. A brand new engine replacement with labor will cost 6k. Trying to weigh my options.
You are right. Right now you are in a situation where you could look for component failure and hope a strip down will find it and replace or fix and resolve. My guess is they are blaming the valve because it won't hold compression in hopes that the scoring isn't causing that. If its not the valve, then you are out the teardown to inspect and end up going further. Of course this is expensive because it is time consuming and may end up in a replacement engine anyway. 6k for a replacement engine assuming it includes labor would be my choice here if asked right now assuming this car used value to you is worth it. I mean if you guys didn't run this engine without oil, I may be willing to gamble and try to save the engine and hope its just a valve.