10-17-2021, 08:35 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
We have had many of those free-standing dehumidifiers over the years. The best set up is with a drain as you mentioned; second best is using a scavenger pump and pumping into a sink or other drain line.

Ours were always in the unfinished part of our basement because they do sometimes leak and there is the fan noise. We didn’t have any problem but we also didn’t have a cat.

If the floor is carpeted make sure there is clearance for air to come into the unit from below (if it requires it), otherwise you’ll want to put it on a piece of plywood. There really isn’t much more to those units.
Thanks. The floor is covered in vinyl, so that shouldn't be an issue. And I'd get one with a timer so it wouldn't run at night. I found one with an internal filter and I'm thinking a simple foam pre-filter would negate the dust issue. But I'd really like a built-in system that works with the existing heating system. That would no doubt get into 4 figures, but if it's set it and forget it, I'd be ok with that.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede