Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
I used to do a lot of bird photography and still do some, but transitioning from crop bodies to the 5D2 has left me wanting more reach - even with a 500 + 1.4x attached. Because of this the 1.5x greater linear pixel density of the 7D has significant appeal to me.

That said I think the AF performance of the 5D2 is actually quite good on the center AF point (which is really all I ever use). So I wonder if the new 19 point AF of the 7D might be overkill for me. In short, I think we 5D2 users already have a camera that's "good enough" for bird photography, and can wait awhile until reviews of the 7D - glowing or scathing - start to trickle in. If eveyone loves the damn thing I may try to pick up one as a 2nd body on sale in the spring, but the 5D2 is good enough that I'm not going to be in any particular hurry.
You do indeed "do some" bird photography. That entry in the Forum's contest is stunning. In fact I'd love to see it full size. Do you have a link?

I too thought that the 5D2 would be "good enough" for bird photography. Almost all my bird shots are heavy crops and still pretty darn sharp, but I look at shots taken at "effective" focal lengths of 600, 800 and 900mm and long for that kind of detail. My main motivation to consider the 7D is reach, without too much sacrifice of high-ISO performance. The AF and burst speed are secondary, but pluses.

Sounds like we're pretty much on the same page about the 7D.

Dave