originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
Just so I understand this correctly...

You don't think Rolex has earned the right to charge $10,000 for a watch so you buy counterfeits to fool people into believing that you paid $10,000 for a watch.

Is that correct?

There are plenty of watches that have a Rolex look that aren't counterfeit and don't infringe trademarks. Why not by those?

As far as your point about owning and enjoying a piece of art is interesting. There is a difference between buying a piece of art for the love of art and the artist and buying art as an investment. Below a certain value, there is no such thing as real or fake. In art, real or fake comes into play when an artist name is brought into it.

Let's say you paid $1M for a Picasso and found out its fake. Regardless of whether you bought it for the love of art or as an investment, its worthless because it's not art and has no value. So yes, I would like it less. In fact I would hate it.
I definitely agree on this.

People that buy a replica's main purpose is to DECEIVE people into thinking they have the authentic artifact.

I come across these type of people daily on my items for-sale on local ads and their reason is "I offer what I only think your item is worth" and one offering 1/2 price of a brand new Submariner because "He thinks it is only worth $3,000 to him"

It is a straight cop-out reason for people that cannot afford to buy the authentic piece and blatantly lie to themselves, flaunting their wrists to the general public claiming it is authentic.

Though I could be bitter for paying face value for my Rolex, or maybe I understand why I paid that much for an item, or I have a milestone in my life that I want to celebrate... who knows the reason why people buy authentic and ludicrously spend thousands of dollars on a piece of jewellery?